What makes a person get up at 5am to be at the gym by 6am, or makes someone lace up their shoes and walk 10,000 steps or even 7 miles each day? What is drive behind this decision; a decision that other people might deem as bordering on insanity? Let’s look at some of the benefits of exercise:
- Maintain weight balance
- Muscle toning and bulking
- Reducing the risk of some cancers and heart disease
- Improving your mood
- Better sleep
- A feeling of accomplishment
- Stress reduction
- A greater sense of well-being
This list could go on and on. What are your reasons for developing a routine of exercise? For me it is for that sense of well-being and accomplishment. I want to challenge myself beyond what my age might dictate; but mostly I want to be and stay healthy.
Self-care is about you; it is about making yourself the best person that you can be it is not about competing with others or with societal standards. As we go through our 40-Day Self-Care Challenge, please keep in mind the purpose of why you are choosing to do the things you are doing. For example, if I am exercising to look better than Susan (a fictitious person), then I am probably not going to stick with it and I will surely not be doing it with a joyful heart. If I am cleaning my home to have a better looking home than Barbara (another fictitious person), then I will feel resentful and stressed. There will always be someone who seems to be, “better,” or “worse,” than you, if you compete with other people. The goal with everything in life is to be you and the best you, you can be. That is the goal of self-care.
So how can you get on an exercise routine?
- Find a partner, even if they are remote, to keep you on task or to complain to😊.
- Don’t overdo. This should be fun and stress-free. If you over do it, you might hurt yourself and have to stop.
- Listen to music. I will be talking about music and self-care during this 40-Day Challenge. For now trust me and make a play list.
- Have a goal. Don’t be too overly structured because the weather will not always be on your side. But, have a basic plan for your exercise routine and all of self-care.
- Have fun!!!!! Laugh!!! Laugh kindly at yourself.
- Be gentle with yourself. Are you, your own best friend?
So let’s do this thing, we are all in this together. I am already proud of you for joining in on this challenge.